Monday 19 September 2016

uɳitɛɗ

United
A piece for a young bride and groom
2015 - 12"x9"
Natalie Bertin
Watercolour based Paper

   


After a while of looking through over 87 different indigenous artworks I finally came across a decision! I decided that I'd do this wonderful piece of work. In the photo, you can see two wolves who are howling. According to the artist, this was to symbolise unity, hence the name of the art. You can see the trees in the foreground, they match with the 'Northern Lights' that come from the wolves howls. Lines in art are extremely important, it helps convey a message or feeling. In this piece, I see a lot of curved lines that seem to all flow along with each other. To me this symbolises unity, but also relaxation, or a sense of one. Because this is supposed to be a piece for a young bride and groom, the sense of one is important. In terms of shape, I mainly see curved shapes like ovals, or circles. There are some triangular details, but to me they are minor. Texture in art can truly connect someone with the piece, they are able to see one thing and imagine how it feels. In this piece, the snow and wolves seem soft - almost smooth to me. Using warm and cold colours can also help get a certain feeling across, like sadness, joy, anger or fear. There are mainly cool colours in this art piece, but the touches of yellow and red are unique. To me, cool colours tend to feel relaxing or 'at home', the touch of red and yellow help that 'cozy' feeling come to life. There are very neutral colours like white, but the colours against the white help them stand out a lot, which I love.

To me, the focal point of this piece is the unity between the wolves, or the 'Northern Lights' that come from their howls, and swirl together. My eyes are drawn to this point by the colour. There's Asymmetry in this art, although the wolves are side-by-side, the swirls within their howls are different. The light in this piece is coming from the howls, which do reminds me of Northern Lights. The colour of the howls are reflected onto the fur of the wolves below. The darkest area of the whole piece is the night sky within the background, I feel like this helps make the wolves stand out more, and their howls pop. There is shallow space in this art, I feel like this is a good idea, since you want the wolves and their unity to be the main focus. To me, colour and swirls are repeated a lot within this piece of art. The swirls almost dance together, and seem to be decorated perfectly with the mixture of cool and warm colours.

The purpose behind this art is to show Unity. Natalie Bertin said herself that she wanted to convey the message of two lovers, and their sympathy for each other. This art shows the true love and Unity between two lovers who are about to become one through marriage. In the artwork there are two white wolves howling in sync, as colour flows from their jaws. The artist is trying to say that these two animals are very united in terms of their thoughts or doings. To me, yes, the artist did draw nature, but wasn't too into imitating realism. There is a lot of feeling and emotion in this art, unity, love, passion and sympathy. To me, colour and line was extremely important in this art piece. In order to convey that feeling of unity, the cool and warm colours mixed with relaxing curved lines drew me into this piece. The title itself is 'Unity' which is what this whole piece is about! There are many words to describe this piece of artwork, unity, passion, sympathy, relaxation, warmth, cozy, snug, peace, beauty and love.

Showing emotion was the main focus of this artwork, Natalie tried to convey a message of unity. I do love this piece of artwork for many reasons. To me it's unique, and I love uniqueness in art. The colour choice is perfection, the way the cool and warm colours collide really makes me feel almost 'welcome' while looking at this piece of art. I do love wolves, but the way Natalie used wolves to convey commitment in love was a very smart idea. I do not see any pack of wolves, instead two lone wolves who have connected their love with a 'song'. I would buy this art, it's beautiful and conveys such a beautiful message of love and unity.































































1 comment:

  1. This is a very accomplished critique. Well done!
    Thinking L4++ Communication L4++

    ReplyDelete