Monday 23 January 2017

Culminating - Written Report



     *Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pardykerr/electroswing/
     My original concept was to do imagine I'm working for an Electroswing band. Electroswing is a twist of 'old-timey' music and new-age remixes or electric (hence the 'electro' part of the name). I began listening to hours and hours on end of this genre of music. While doing that I was sitting down and looking at photo and photo of electroswing, and jotting notes. I made sure to pay close attention to the clothing that males and females wore, the patterning and accessories they owned. I also doodled out concept sketches of their two-person dances. When looking at posters for electroswing concerts I paid attention to the line of each poster. For example, a popular band had a lot of lines that created emphasis to their iconic robot character. I looked at colour, and realized the colour palette were all very limited to a certain colour and kept monochrome. Sometimes they even added a splash of colour, but nothing too drastic. I wanted to keep a lot the same.
  When it came to typography, a lot of the font was 'old style' so I stuck with that. I also wanted to keep my lettering level and have some form of symmetry, but I ended up reversing the one side. The text in posters was laid out very simple, but effective. I wanted to keep the line in which the text was going to be laid on centered but the text itself off to each side. I think by placing the '~' it helps the space between the band name and album name seem less empty and very purposeful - which it was.
  For the technical side of things, I used Adobe Photoshop and went on google to look up silhouettes of men and women in clothing that seemed to fit genre I was looking for, I masked each silhouette and began to add a few things to them. For example, I took an eraser that resembled a leaf and used it on both silhouettes. I made sure to add 2 blocks of brown and actually lower to opacity to get the brown effect and even added a film overlay for a 'old timey' effect. I made sure to use a lot of masks to my advantage and a lot of layers, naming each layer really helped me too with making sure I was working on the right one each time.
  Finally, when I was finished I was pretty proud with what I created. I was a little iffy about it, and didn't really want to present but I knew I had to. After getting up there and having so many complements about my work I was beginning to really like it. In general I'm happy with it and I think I accomplished what I wanted, and think if "Scaunt Dassen" were a real band, they'd be happy.






























 

No comments:

Post a Comment